Everyone loves a classic Madeira cake, and it is oh so simple to make.
Perfect for everyday baking and occasions, this buttery treat highlights the goodness of our premium natural ingredients, especially our organic grass-fed butter.
A simple and classic recipe that is made even more simple by being a one-bowl recipe!
Enjoy this retro favourite.
Ingredients you need:
- 180g Organic Times Salted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 180g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- 255g (1 & 2/3 cups) plain all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 60g Organic Times Salted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 320g (2 cups) Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make your Madeira Cake:
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Line a 9” x 5“rectangle baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer (if using), add softened butter and caster sugar. Beat on high for 1-2 minutes or until mixture turns light/pale yellow and fluffy in texture. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Beat through vanilla and lemon zest until just combined.
- Add flour and baking powder. Beat until just combined.
- Add lemon juice and beat until well combined and you have a thick smooth batter.
- Pour into lined pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. The top should be slightly cracked and golden.
- Remove and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove and turn out cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add softened butter and using an electric hand beater, beat butter for a few seconds until creamy.
- Gradually add icing sugar, alternating with lemon juice, beating well after each addition until creamy and fluffy.
- Once cake has cooled completely, spoon on frosting and spread over cake.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 3-4 days.
- Alternatively to step 1, if you have a non-stick pan, liberally grease it with melted butter and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished loaf with smooth edges.
Recipe and video courtesy of Sam at Wholesome Patisserie.