Berries and Cream Galette
Galette, is a term used in French cuisine to describe a free-form tart made with a single crust of pastry, usually folded up and over to contain its filling.
This Berries and Cream Galette incorporates some of our finest ingredients including, of course, our pure unsulphured organic Blackstrap Molasses- which also makes an excellent honey substitute for our vegan friends.
Nestled neatly inside the Gluten Free pastry crust are the berries. Did you know Blueberries are jam packed with antioxidants?! And raspberries provide excellent dietary fibre, while strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C. Such a tasty treat that is full of nutritional benefit too!
So get into the kitchen and start baking this berry-licious treat by Sam @Wholesome Patisserie.
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Times Almond Meal (Blanched)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- pinch salt
- 80 grmas Organic Times Salted Butter (chopped into chunks)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 175 grams Organic Times Blackstrap Molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 egg (lightly whisked)
- Thickened cream or coconut cream (chilled)
- In a high speed food processor, add almond meal, tapioca, sugar, salt and butter, pulse and blend until mixture resembles a course crumb.
- Add egg and process until well combined and mixture forms a dough.
- Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, using your hands, form dough into a round.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine berries, molasses, vanilla and tapioca, coat well.
- On a floured bench or board, gently roll out dough, approx. 10” across and thick enough to fold and hold in the filling.
- Once dough is ready, place the berry filling in the centre of the dough and approx. 2” from the edge, allowing enough room to fold over the dough edges.
- Gently fold the sides of the dough up and over the outside of the berries. Creasing the dough together with your fingers as you go.
- Brush the outside dough with the whisked egg.
- Transfer galette to lined baking tray with a large spatula.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool on pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle desired amount of cream over galette.
- A couple of scoops of ice-cream is also delicious.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 1 week to 10 days.