Blackstrap Molasses Gingerbread
A traditional Gingerbread Cake that is quick and easy to make.
The combination of golden syrup, cinnamon and our Organic Blackstrap Molasses results in a slightly sweet and lightly spiced flavour. We have made ours in a Bundt cake mould but it can also be made in a simple loaf tin. Either way you will end up with the lovely dense, but light texture, which is what makes this cake so delightful.
You can enjoy it with a dollop of yogurt or cream, and it is perfectly paired with a scraping of our Grass Fed Organic Salted Butter.
- 150 grams Organic Times Salted Butter
- 3/4 cup Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 300 grams Organic Times Blackstrap Molasses
- 50 grams golden syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 3 tsp ground ginger*
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda (dissolved in 2 tbs water)
- 250ml plain yoghurt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 300 grams plain flour
- dusting Organic Times Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Line a large rectangular baking dish with baking paper or grease with butter.
- Melt butter, sugar, syrup, molasses, and spices together in a pan over low heat.
- Remove from heat, add yoghurt, beaten eggs, and dissolved bicarb of soda.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and pour the combined liquid from the saucepan into the bowl, mixing well so all flour is combined.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Once cooked, pull out of the oven, let the gingerbread cool and then cut into required squares.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar when serving.
- Will keep fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- You can even freeze these for up to a month. Wrap well.
- *Add 2 tsp of ginger if you prefer a weaker ginger taste
- Serving suggestions: yoghurt, cream or a scraping of our butter.