Bony Brownie Cookies
Treat friends and family this Halloween with our Bony Brownie Cookies!
Made using a gingerbread cookie cutter and our premium organic ingredients, these scary skeletons will remind you of delicious chocolate brownies.
And don’t be afraid of the yummy icing being too tricky, because the uglier the better for these bony guys..
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) plain all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (65g) Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp (4g) Organic Times Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch salt
- 180g Organic Times Salted Butter (softened at room temperature )
- 1/2 cup (100g) Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) raw granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature )
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Regular size gingerbread man cookie cutter
- Piping bag and small round piping nozzle
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add salt and whisk well. Set aside.
- Use the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or use a large mixing bowl with a hand beater.
- To the mixer bowl, add softened butter and beat on low speed for a few seconds until creamy.
- Add both sugars and beat on medium speed until well combined and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add half the flour mixture, beat until just combined. Add remaining flour and continue beating on low speed until a soft dough begins to form.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough between two sheets of baking paper to about 1/4” thickness.
- Stack both pieces of rolled dough together, a sheet of baking paper between each and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove one piece of dough from refrigerator. Take the cookie cutter and cut out the shapes. Re-rolling any excess dough and cutting out more shapes.
- Place shapes onto lined baking tray.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat process with second sheet of dough.
- Whilst cookies are cooling, make icing.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice.
- Using a hand beater or whisk, beat together until well combined and smooth.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a small round piping nozzle, a size 1 or 2 nozzle will work.
- Fill bag with icing.
- Decorate each cookie with lines for a skeleton. Pipe an outline of a skull and circles for eyes and mouth. Flood face with icing.
- Set cookies aside to allow icing to dry.