Caramelised Orange Flourless Cake
Spring is in the air and Summer is on the horizon, so it is the perfect time to add a little extra warmth and sunshine to your days with this scrumptious Caramelised Orange Flourless Cake.
We’ve incorporated some of our finest ingredients out of the pantry to bring you this delightful gluten free treat. Our salted butter and almond meal makes this cake so yummy and moist, while the silky Rapadura sugar caramelises the oranges on top, giving a zesty lasting bite. You will want to sneak a cheeky second slice even before the first one is finished.
A cake like this is the perfect indulgence to enjoy with a cuppa with friends and family on a sunny afternoon.
Another classic recreated by Sam @Wholesome Patisserie.
- 3/4 cups Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 oranges
- Slice oranges into 2.5mm-thick slices, set aside.
- In a large fry pan, combine sugar and water over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Stirring occasionally.
- Bring to the boil and add oranges slices in two batches. Gently boil slices over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until candied and translucent, turning slices halfway through cooking.
- Remove slices and set aside on a clean plate to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF).
- Grease and line a 23cm round springform tin with a large sheet of parchment paper. Press paper into base of tin and pleat and press paper round the sides.
- Place oranges onto base of tin, slightly overlapping slices to cover base. Place extra slices halfway up sides of tin.
- Place butter and sugar into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add almond meal and buttermilk, beat until well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder over batter, fold through until just combined and smooth.
- Gently pour batter into tin over orange slices.
- Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour or until cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Gently remove cake from pan by releasing the sides and turning it over onto a wire cooling rack.
- Drizzle over remaining syrup and let set.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
- Make sure to overlap the orange slices in the base of the tin. This will ensure they don’t spread apart and allow the cake batter to seep through when baking.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a good 20 - 30 minutes. This will ensure the cake is held together when released from the tin.