Chocolate Berry Meringue Cake
Take advantage of our Australian Summer berry season and make this Choc Berry Meringue Cake.
Don’t let the name fool you into thinking this is a chocolate pavlova.
Both are equally delicious, however with this recipe you’ll be getting a perfect not-too-sweet chocolatey cake that’s deeply fudgy, with a thin crackly layer of meringue that adds extra flavour and texture.
- 100 grams fresh strawberries (trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- 100 grams frozen raspberries
- 80 grams fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 80 grams Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- Place all ingredients into a medium sized pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, cook mixture for 5-10 minutes until all the berries have broken down and the mixture has thickened into a jam like consistency. Help the berries break down by using a spatula to flatten them. Once cooked, remove from heat and pour into a clean bowl.
- Place in the refrigerator to set.
- Preheat oven to 170ºC (338ºF). Grease a 18cm x 4.5cm-high springform cake pan and then line the base of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a large mixing bowl with a hand beater, add egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Whisk egg whites on high speed until soft medium peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, until it is dissolved, continuing to whisk well after each addition.
- Once sugar has been dissolved, sift over almond meal, icing sugar, flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold these ingredients through the meringue until they’re well combined.
- Prepare a piping bag with a 2cm round nozzle and fill the bag with half of the chocolate meringue mixture. Set aside.
- Pipe mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Then pipe an extra 2cm only around the edges of the pan.
- Pour the prepared berry jam onto the centre of the meringue mixture, spreading it out evenly to that meringue border you created around the edges, about half an inch from the sides of the pan.
- Pipe the remaining meringue mixture on top of the berry jam to cover.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes or until golden firm crust and the middle of the cake has no wobble.
- Remove from oven and let the cake cool completely in the pan before removing. Approx. 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, slowly release the springform pan and gently remove the cake.
- Serve with a dusting of extra icing sugar and enjoy!