Chocolate Caramel Cream Layer Cake
Spoil your mum this Mother’s Day with this decadent yet simple and classic chocolate layer cake.
This super easy, one bowl chocolate cake recipe was passed down from Grandfather to Granddaughter, and we love that Samantha @Wholesome Patisserie has shared this with us.
Made with fresh cream, drizzled with a rich caramel sauce and topped with chocolate ganache and macadamias, this sensational chocolatey cake will look like you slaved over it for hours. Shhh…. Your secret is safe with us!
- 1/4 cup Organic Times Salted Butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100 grams Organic Times Dark Chocolate Drops
- 100 grams thickened cream
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 20 grams Organic Times Salted Butter
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Organic Times Australian Raw Macadamia Nuts (crushed )
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Line two 6” x 6” round cake tins with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside.
- Combine all cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl, including melted butter at the end.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture for 3 minutes. Scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place chocolate drops into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over high heat until bubbles begin to appear around the edges.
- Pour warmed cream over chocolate drops, whisking until completely melted through and the ganache begins to thicken. Set aside.
- Pour cream into a medium sized mixing bowl and using a whisk or hand beater, whisk cream until thick and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt together sugar, butter and cream over medium heat.
- Once completely melted, bring to the boil.
- Boil mixture for 20 seconds.
- Pour caramel into a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Whisk mixture for 1 minute or until sauce begins to thicken. Set aside.
- Trim the tops off of each cake to create an even flat surface on each.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the base layer cake.
- Gently pour caramel sauce over cream, letting it drip down the sides.
- Place second cake on top of the base, slightly sandwiching the cream and caramel.
- Pour chocolate ganache over the top. Sprinkle with crushed macadamias.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3 - 4 days.