Chocolate Caramel Slice
Here at Organic Times, we love sharing good classic recipes, especially ones that can be made with just the items you regularly have in your pantry – no extra shopping necessary. This is why we love our Chocolate Caramel Slice. Not only is it a delicious family favourite, but there is no need for sweetened condensed milk. Instead, this recipe calls for coconut cream – a staple in the pantry, perfect for savoury dishes as well as sweet. (We like Ayam Coconut Cream because it’s pure coconut cream)
Tasty chocolate biscuit base, gooey caramel filling and a decadent chocolate topping, all made with Organic Times ingredients. Surely worth giving a go!
Choc Biscuit Base
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 140g Organic Times Salted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 400ml can coconut cream (do not shake)
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 115g Organic Times Salted Butter (room temperature)
Choc Biscuit Base
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Using a 20cm square cake pan, line base and sides of pan with baking paper. Make sure there is extra baking paper to overhang from the tin, making it easier to remove the slice from the pan.
- Place flour, rapadura sugar, coconut, cocoa powder and butter in a food processor. Process until crumbly and starts to clump together.
- Press mixture into the pan evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Remember NOT to shake coconut cream before opening. Once opened, drain clear coconut water into a small bowl, leaving just the thick cream in the can.
- Add 2 tbs of the coconut clear water into a small pot and add brown sugar. Stir over medium heat until dissolved.
- Add the thick coconut cream and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thick and golden. (At the 15min mark, test if the caramel is ready by dropping a little of the caramel into a glass of chilled water. It should form a soft ball. If not, try again at the 20min mark)
- Take the pot off the heat and stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in butter until smooth.
- Pour over base for even coverage. Once cooled, refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl and sit over a pot of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Evenly pour chocolate topping over refrigerated caramel and leave to set.
- Cut into 5cm squares and serve or place in storage container.