Sink your fangs into these tasty and spooky Bat and Ghost Cookies!
One for the home baker, this recipe combines the perfect cookie dough with the best icings – organic milk chocolate and organic royal icing.
With the ideal balance of sweetness, these cookies are guaranteed to impress every cookie monster this Halloween.
- 250 grams Organic Times Salted Butter (cubed and softened at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups plain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
White Royal Icing
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 100 grams Organic Times Milk Chocolate Drops (melted)
- Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add cubed butter and beat until just soft. Add icing sugar and vanilla, beat until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
- Sift both flours over butter and beat slowly until mixture turns into a soft dough.
- Bring the dough together with your hands and divide into 2 halves and press each into a disc.
- Wrap each dough in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºC). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Roll one dough half out on a lightly floured surface to approx. 3mm-4mm in thickness.
- Using Halloween ghost and bat cookie cutters (either or both), cut out shapes and place on lined tray.
- Refrigerate tray of cookies for 10 minutes until just firm.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden all over.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat method with remaining dough half or freeze to use for another cookie recipe.
White Royal Icing
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice, using a hand beater, beat until well combined and smooth. Set aside
- Prepare 2 piping bags, one fitted with a number 1 round nozzle and the other fitted with a number 2 round nozzle. Divide and fill the royal icing into each piping bag.
- Using the bag fitted with the number 1 nozzle, slowly pipe an outline around the edge on the ghost cookies, leaving approx. 1-2mm gap from the edge of the cookies. Set aside until the icing sets.
- Using the bag fitted with the number 2 nozzle, flood the inside of the outlined cookies with the icing. Use a toothpick to fill in any gaps. Set cookies aside to set completely.
- Prepare the same piping bags with the same nozzles as you did for the royal icing.
- Pipe the chocolate outline with the number 1 nozzle, set aside to set and then fill the inside with the number 2 nozzle. Set aside until completely set.
- Take the white royal icing bags and pipe eyes onto the bats.
- Take the chocolate icing bags and pipe eyes onto the ghosts.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry or refrigerated for 1 week.
- Amount of cookies wil depend on the size of your cookie cutter.