Nut-free Apricot Oat Bars
Cooking with children can be hard and it can be messy – there is no denying it requires a bit of patience.
However, the value they get from being in the kitchen, learning about food from young age is invaluable and something they will hold on to for a lifetime. Start them off with something simple and healthy.
Prepare these Oat Bars for healthy school lunchboxes or after-school snacks.
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Organic Times Organic Sunflower Kernels
- 1/2 cup Organic Times Organic Dried Apricots (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup Organic Times Organic Dried Sultanas
- 150 grams Organic Times Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Organic Times Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/4 cup Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 1 egg ( lightly whisked)
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a 8inch x 8inch baking tray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, bi carb, baking power, coconut, oats, sunflower seeds, apricots and sultanas.
- Place butter, molasses and rapadura sugar in a small saucepan over low heat stir until butter is melted and combined with sugar.
- Pour butter mixture into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix.
- Finally add in the egg and mix to form a sticky mixture.
- Spread mixture out in prepared baking tray using a spoon to flatten the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1tbsp sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20min or until golden.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into 10 bars.