Strawberry Chocolate Cake
Spoil Mum this Mother’s Day with this Strawberry Delight Chocolate Cake.
Each mouthful is an indulgent blend of fluffy, rich chocolate cake and a delicate strawberry infused icing. Topped with both fresh and chocolate covered strawberries and mint leaves
Recipe courtesy of Sam @wholesomepatisserie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup Organic Times Organic Rapadura Sugar
- 100 grams Organic Times Unsalted Butter (cubed )
- 3/4 cup Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g (1/2 cup) Organic Times Salted Butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/3 cups water (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g (1/2 cup) Organic Times Salted Butter (softened at room temperature )
- 4 cups Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1/3 cup store-bought strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF). Using two 9-inch round cake pans, liberally grease the side of each pan with butter and a light dusting of cocoa powder. Line the bottom of each with parchment paper cut into circle to fit the base.
- In a high-speed food processor, add flour and both sugars. Pulse a couple of times to incorporate.
- Add cubed butter and pulse until mixture slightly resembles the texture of wet sand. There should be small clumps throughout where the flour has coated the butter.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour in melted butter, eggs and water. Using an electric hand beater, beat on low speed for 30 seconds until just combined. Scrape down the sides and continue to beat on medium speed for a further 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Divide batter between cake pans and smooth out the tops.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and allow cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened butter. Using an electric hand beater, beat butter until creamy.
- Add a cup of icing sugar at a time, beating well after each addition, alternating with 1 tablespoon of milk if needed to help the butter and icing sugar incorporate.
- Add strawberry jam and beat until light and fluffy. Adding more icing sugar if icing is too wet. It should hold it’s shape.
- Place one cooled cake on a serving platter or cake stand.
- Divide strawberry icing in half and spoon one half onto first cake to create the middle frosted layer. Spreading it out nearly to the edges.
- Top with second cake. Spoon and spread over remaining icing.
- Top with whole and halved organic times chocolate covered strawberries, fresh sliced strawberries and mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Chocolate Cake makes 2 x 9-inch round cakes